New York Game Maker Workshops
Checkout the Meetup Schedule for all upcoming events.
I’m happy to announce two new free workshops I will be doing focusing on Game Development here in NYC. These two workshops are broken up into beginner and advanced level and will run each Saturday from 10-1pm (beginner) and then 2pm – 6pm (advanced). Each month we will pick a new framework to learn and focus on launching our own games at the end of the month. You can learn more about the workshops and register at the New York Game Makers Meetup Group.
Here is a little additional background on the workshops and what you can expect:
At the beginner level workshop we will cover the basics of game design, programming and what frameworks to use. If you don’t have any previous experience making games you will have a great opportunity to learn more about what goes into making a game.
In the advanced level workshop we will cover more detailed aspects of game design, programming and what frameworks to use. This workshop is designed for people who have previous programming experience and are currently working on game or looking for feedback and help on an existing game.
Each month we will pick a new framework to learn with a focus on making a new game each month. Sample code will be provided to help get you started with an emphasis on game design over coding.
The format of the workshop includes a 1 hour lecture or discussion followed by 2 hours of hands on time where you are free to play around with the provided code, work on your own game and get help on anything you are having issues with.
- First week – Monthly Framework Introduction. Each month we will talk about a new framework. To get started we will alternate between ImpactJS (HTML5) and GameMaker.
- Second Week – Show and tell where we highlight some of the work we are doing
- Third Week – Polish and bug fixing so we can focus on any issues you may be having with your game before launch.
- Fourth Week – Release your game. We will go over what you need to release your game.
HTML 5 Gaming Workshop
(New Schedule Coming Soon)
During this workshop we will cover:
- How to install tools for HTML 5 game building.
- Introduction to Game Design, Game Theory and Web Gaming.
- Intro to ImpactJS.
- Making your first ImpactJS game.
- Game Asset generation with PhotoShop Scripting.
- Working with inheritance, animation and sound in ImpactJS.
- Deployment strategies and distribution (Web, Desktop, Mobile).
Sample Video From Workshop – Introduction To Game Design
Workshop attendees will get a free non-commercial license of Impact JS along with documentation and lesson source code. It is recommended that you have Apache and PHP installed prior to the workshop in order to run the code examples and follow along.
10am – 5pm September 26, 2012
10am – 5pm April 22, 2012
Microsoft’s NYC Office
8:30am – 4:30pm on March 5th, 2012
9am – 12:30pm on January 18, 2012
9am – 12:30pm on October 27, 2011